Friday, October 5, 2007

You Are Who Your Friends Are

I read a post on Michael Bates blog www.batesline.com where he talked at great leangth regarding the lawsuit filed against Oral Roberts University. I recommend reading it and the comments. Towards the bottom of his post, he lists several regents who, in his words, are who’s who of the Word Faith movement.

Why does ORU associate itself with teachers who teach, among other things… men are little gods, one can have wealth and health if they “confess and possess” Kenneth Hagen has said several times, one shouldn’t ask if it’s God’s will, simply name and claim. Jesus died spiritually, and that our words have meaning (i.e. if we say something and exercise our faith, it will come to pass) Hagen has even said God cannot act without our faith. Now, these are general teachings as different WF pastors teach and focus on different doctrines but this is clear enough to show the teachings are at the very least unorthodox, the worst outright heresy.

You heard me right, some of these teachings and their teachers are heretics. Kenneth Copeland has said that Adam WAS God (a throw back to an old Mormon teaching) and that when he reads in the Bible where Jesus says I AM, he smiles and says “I am too” and Benny Hinn said there 9 persons in the Trinity. I think he recanted this statement but he also said he gets his “anointing” from Kathrine Kulman’s grave, sounds like occultist spiritism to me.

Which is why I ask ORU, why is your university associating with these teachers? Is it because they are a way for the university to get large donors, or does ORU subscribe to these teachings too?

How father and son answer this question will go a long way to evaluating their credibility.

P.S. I do know there are several orthodox professors (one was my Youth Minster, another an old Sunday School teacher) but I still find it disturbing the list of people listed as ORU’s regents.

FYI: There is a great deal of information on the Word Faith Movement. For more info, check out the web site http://www.apologeticsindex.net/, and the book The Word Faith Controversy by Robert Bowman.

No comments: