Wednesday, October 3, 2007

This is why doctrine is important

I heard about the recent lawsuit filed against Oral Roberts University. I'll not get into the specifics, but one thing that really sticks out for me is the allegations of the wealth and excess by the Roberts family. Others have blogged about this so I figure it's my turn. For me, this brings home once again the need for the teaching or right doctrine in the church. You see, ORU also bought into the "Name it and Claim it", "seed faith" ca-ca. Simply put (and I may be oversimplifying) if you are a Christian and want to be healthy and wealthy, why, have enough faith and BINGO! you'll get what you want. Of course, if you want to really get what you want, sow that seed and God will return hundreds fold. Teachers of this movement of course, take verses completely out of context and deny God his sovereignty. Why am I bringing this up? Simple, to protect against this error, the people of God must be equipped with the correct doctrines of the faith. We must not only defend ourselves, but be ready to offer an answer to those who peddle this teaching. How can we defend if we don't know the proper teachings?

No comments: