Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Computer Woes (Dealing with Best Buy) Pt 1

I haven’t posted in a while because my hard drive crashed for the second time in three months. Here's what happened.

During the last six months, I have replaced my computer twice and the hard drive crashed on the third computer two times.

Because I purchased an extended warranty, Best Buy repaired my computer free of charge. The silver lining (I’ll give credit where it’s due) was my hard drive. BB has a policy of replacing either like for like or if one is not available, they will upgrade, NEVER downgrade. I went from a 160 GB to 250GB.

Because I purchased an obvious lemon, I asked management that an exception to the no-returns-on-computers-after-fourteen-days be made. Neither the store nor district managers would comply. The district manager told me all necessary exceptions have been made and BB would just continue to fix my PC. When I asked to speak to someone in higher authority, his response: "Our executives don't talk to customers."


When WW heard this, she fired off a complaint to Channel 2’s Problem Solvers who interviewed me on camera. Shortly thereafter, a Best Buy executive called asking if I would pick up my computer. If I wasn't happy with the work completed, he would see about getting me a replacement. I wasn't satisfied because I was given a much smaller hard drive. After relaying the info to the BB exec, he agreed to replace my computer, plus a new extended warranty, PLUS, a little extra for sales tax.

No comments: