Monday, August 11, 2008

Liberal Childishness

This last weekend, I (again) discovered a truth in life.

Liberals do not like to argue issues. Not in the way gorwn-ups do anyway.

My second brother (I am the oldest of three, the liberal I'm blogging about is 21 mos younger, the other who seemed to just recite what he was told is 14 years younger) is almost as liberal as I am conservative. Of course with all his liberalism comes all the liberal hang ups. Let me explain.

Now, let me state for the record I do love both my brothers. If they were in need, I'd be at their side in a New York minute, but younger bro (the liberal) and I are as different politics wise as night and day.

Saturday the family gathered at my father's and went out to celebrate his birthday. The talking soon went to politics where, of course, I offered my opinion. while I was talking with my little brother (14 years younger) he recited the same liberal speak about Bush screwing up the country, we don't need to be fighting terrorists, the war is a losing cause, etc. I asked him to qualify his comments, that is, do something liberals can't stand, provide facts. My other brother, the liberal, then jumped in saying I parrot everything Bush tells me to say. Not once in our conversation did he ever offer to refute my points. The closest he came was when youngest brother and I talked oil. After blaming Bush for the high gas prices, I corrected him giving him facts that, no little bro, it's the Eco loons that have driven up oil by not letting us drill or build refineries. My other (liberal) brother countered that if we did that "all it would do would increase our addiction on oil" I think I might've asked him what his solution was. That or was amazed at the thinking of that comment. Of course, it did not address the issue of higher gas prices. I asked both what their solutions were again. Liberal brother could do nothing but accuse me of not thinking for myself and/or parroting everything I hear. This brings me to two observations about liberals I noticed in my younger liberal brother.

1. Liberals have a condescending attitude to anybody who does not share their enlightened way of thinking. It doesn't matter that their ideas don't jive with history. (more on that) To lefties, you are no better than a child if you hold different views, especially conservative ones. Doubt me? Watch the evening news or read our daily paper. To my younger, uninformed brother, I was a simpleton, devoid of thinking for myself.

2. Liberals can't or won't argue facts. Of course this is impossible because anybody studying history will see how Liberalism is one big failure. If one starts arguing from the lessons of history, their religious convictions, or pointing out liberals ideas of "rights" (e.g. killing one's baby, gay "marriage" "gun control" or giving rights to terrorists) are nowhere in the Constitution, they will answer with scorn. You will either be branded a right wing nut job, religious bigot, just plain stupid, or all the above. It doesn't matter if the liberal is in government, a collage kid reciting what his professor told him to think, or church leader. Liberals are the same. I confirmed with WW, not once did my liberal, uninformed younger brother offer any counter points to my positions.

That's why I titled this post "Liberal Childishness" An adult realizes the discussion can't move forward when one side either does not argue facts or is reduced to calling the other side names. To any adult, that's child's play. It's "Liberal Childishness"

Of course, I got mad, challenging both brothers to do just that. Start thinking and acting like adults. That didn't go over too well but my point was made.

I don't appreciate my younger brother thinking I'm an idiot, but, then I just have to sit back and laugh, knowing it's just a product of him being a liberal.

It's his (and theirs) liberal childishness.

No comments: