Saturday, June 21, 2008

Good Christian Music

Anybody who's known me longer than fifteen minutes knows I dislike most modern praise music. I have several reasons. The constant repetitiveness, lack of depth, the me-orientates where much of this music focuses more on what God can do for us instead of praising him for who he is and his saving us from sin just to name a few. Even the performance of this music in church is me-oriented. I can tell you how many times, even in our own church, the lights go off, the spotlight goes on, and we are treated to a mini concert where a music minister sings a solo. Whatever happened to corporate worship where the ENTIRE body of Christ is edified through singing theologically rich songs? Before I go on, I know there are some praise songs that are worth singing just as there are some hymns concerned more with feelings than theology. I'm just giving a general description.

The me-oriented, happy-clappy, 7-11 (7 words sung 111 times), 7-up (Seven words up on the screen) music has caused me to become disillusioned with modern worship. I began thinking only good Christian music is music from the past. In my mind, gone were the Martin Luther's, Charles, Wesley's, Issac Watts, etc. What was left was music more akin to cotton candy than meat.

Not anymore. Several weeks ago I was introduced, through listening to Al Mohler, to songwritters who add much to modern Christian music. If you are like me and have become tired of the same ole same ole, give Keith and Kristyn Getty a try. You have probably heard of some of their songs. One of their most famous is the wonderful hymn "In Christ Alone" The first time I listened to the words, I commented to WW, "These words sound like they belong in one of the great creeds".

Here is the youtube link to the Getty's. Go down the list and listen to their songs. http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Keith+and+Kristyn+Getty They also write with another great songwritter Stuart Townsand

I've learned a valuable lesson. Hymns aren't dead and there is modern Christian music that includes ancient truths worth listening to.

1 comment:

Savage Baptist said...

The first time I heard "In Christ Alone," it was from a beautifully Celtic-themed album that is still one of my favorites. You can only find it used now, but if you're interested, here's the link. There's much on it that you would like.

You might also be able to find some of those songs on I-tunes, for all I know. I haven't tried.