Friday, March 7, 2008

Road Trip Day II

This morning, after checking out of our motel and looking at a little used book store we ran across in Fayetteville, we started our second leg of our vacation. We made reservations at a local B&B and were very impressed with the room. Of course, no trip to Arkansas is complete without a trip to AQ Chicken House. We tried the location in Fayetteville, but several people told me the one in Springdale was better so I took this opportunity to try them both. I found the chicken in Springdale had a better flavor and wasn't as greasy. Both, however are very good, but if I had to choose which one I'd eat at, it would be Springdale.

On the road we made a stop at the Pea Ridge battlefield which, unbeknown st to us, was fought March 7th and 8th 1862, one hundred forty six years ago to the day. What's interesting about the battle of Pea Ridge isit was the largest Civil War battle west of the Mississippi River. General Earl Van Dorn set out to try and draw Missouri into the Confederacy. Both parties met at the battle site, and after Van Dorn's forces were defeated, Missouri was securely in the Union and the tide began to turn in the Trans Mississippi theater. I've been to Par Ridge several times, the first time hiking the battlefield with my Boy Scout troop when I was in fifth grade. WW and I learned they are going to have reenactors Sunday so we may try and stop by there again. I'm a big Civil War buff and every time we visit, I learn something new.

Both WW and myself have always loved Eureka Springs. We were married there in 2001 and have been back several times. Even though I don't buy into the New Age mumbo jumbo and the politics are a little liberal for my tastes, the peaceful settings make this a favorite destination for the both of us. We were able to get some tickets to a show free of charge, but we both decided to just stay indoors and just relax. I'm blogging, she's watching a movie.

As for the snow? What snow? All traces melted out before we even left Fayetteville so it is smooth sailing.

No comments: