Sunday, March 9, 2008

Inked

PLEASE NOTE: The following account is based on MY experience. Depending on one's tolerance for pain, and where the tattoo is placed, their experience may be different. Much of this may be subjective.


So what's it like getting a tattoo? Is it as painful as they say?

As I said in my last post, I was more than a little nervous and considered calling the tattoo parlor and canceling. I didn't because I've been talking about getting one for several years and knew it was time to put up or shut up. I also know myself and knew if I chickened out, I'd regret it so I said "what the hey" and wen through with my plans. Plus, WW went from "not a snowball's chance in hell to "I'll support you if you get a tattoo." I'd hate to think I'd wasted all that time persuading her.

I'll answer my two questions and more with this post.

Upon entering the parlor and getting the paperwork out of the way (signing the release and paying) the artist Jodi asked what I wanted and where I wanted it placed. Because I'm a Christian and would be one the rest of my life I wanted something which would express my Faith. Hey, God chose me to be His, and I can't lose my salvation so an expression of my Christian faith was a safe choice. I've heard it said many times and they are right on this point. Choose wisely what you want and where you want it on your body. For example, I'm a Republican but may not be one the rest of my life. Remember, Reagan was a Democrat and when they got wacko liberal, he hit the door. I may also in the future work somewhere where tattoos are frowned upon so whatever I got, I wanted it in a place I could easily cover up if need be. Besides work, I may, in the future, serve in a leadership position at church. My tattoo may be offensive to somebody. Although I have no moral qualms about what I did, the last thing I want is to cause offense to a fellow brother or sister.

Besides an expression of my Faith, I wanted a simple design for a first-time-tattoo so I chose the triquetra. (Spare me the BS about it being a pagan symbol, so were Christmas trees, but like trees, God created these symbols, if we Christians want to take something paganism uses for evil and Christianize it, we can) This is a symbol of the Triune God composed of three interlocking triangles that form one shape; the representative three-in-one doctrine of God. As for where I wanted it placed, I decided to go with my upper arm instead of my shoulder blade. In addition to the upper arm being less painful than other parts of the body, I wanted a place I could cover up easily but also somewhere I could show off. Hey, I wasn't getting a picture of a naked lady. :-)

While I was sitting off to the side Jodie prepped her station taking all needles out of the packages and mixing her ink. I also saw her grab some clean gloves, paper towels and face mask. You know you're in good hands when you hear your tattoo artist say "I've done several triquetras before." so I was confident. After choosing my design and size, Jodie showed me the color I chose and what it would like on my skin. I must admit, she did a remarkable job of mixing a dark green that would stand out on my arm.

After shaving the area, spraying my arm with a couple of solutions, tracing the design on my upper arm, applying the gel so the needle would glide easier on my skin, and (again) reassuring me it wouldn't hurt too bad, it was time to get started. Jodie warned me when the needle would hit the skin and although I had some discomfort, I've had worse pain skinning my knee or burning myself. Honestly, I did grunt a couple of times and flinched when the pain got more intense, but I didn't have to bite on a lead bullet or take a slug of whiskey. The procedure was pretty straight forward; Jodi would apply the needle, stop, then wipe excess ink (and I'm sure blood although I didn't see any) from my arm. The entire time, Jodi talked, telling me about herself and asked where I was from. She did an excellent job taking my mind off the pain. After about 25-30 minutes she was through. Before bandaging my arm, she had me take a look at the finished product in a full length mirror.

Once bandaged, I purchased some antibiotic lotion and she went over the aftercare procedures. I have to keep it clean and apply the antibiotics several times a day for the next four days and over the next week or two, keep it moist using over the counter lotion.

So am I glad I got inked?

Yes, I like the design, and the pain before and after wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you were to ask me, I'd say it felt a lot like cutting myself shaving, though a little more intense. Besides a little pain, which resembles a sunburn, my arm is fine. The only restriction I have is for the next week or so, I can't submerge my upper arm in water; showers are fine, just no baths. I think I can manage.

Remember, this is MY experience. Everybody's experience may be different. Also, like I said earlier, the upper arm is not as painful as other parts of the body. I'm sure the pain would have been more intense if I'd gotten tattooed by my ankle blade, lower back, or lower arm/hand. All in all though, the descriptions given to me by Jodi and Carrie (the shop owner) were accurate.

I was in a state of shock after the entire procedure. First, I was amazed how easy it was getting the tattoo (lack of pain). Second, I still couldn't believe I went through with it. WW was looking in a novelty store when I called and she brought me in and told the shop owner what I did and that I didn't chicken out. The lady pulled up her shirt (tastefully) revealing a tattoo on her lower back.

Of course, everybody I've talked to that has gotten inked will say the same thing.....think carefully what you want and where you want it. Remember, tattoos don't wear off after a few months. If you get tattooed, you've got it for life so make sure you're happy with your choice. That is why I have no problem echoing this advice. Besides doing plenty of research, wisely select your design considering placing your tattoo somewhere, where, if need be, can be covered up.

I'm glad I got inked, but I'm as glad it was done after many months/years of consideration and not a little bit of research.

I still have one other arm and two shoulder blades. Maybe I'll get another one?

Maybe.

1 comment:

Savage Baptist said...

I used to want a tattoo--an eagle, globe, and anchor, or "birdie, ball, and sinker," as some of us say--in the worst way, back when I was in the USMC Reserve. I never got one because every time I was in a place where I could get it done, I had the same thought: "I have other things I can do with that money."

Now, at the age of forty-five, the desire for a tattoo has completely faded, you might say.

I've never seen anything wrong with 'em, personally. Enjoy yours.