Saturday, April 26, 2008

Wisdom From the Mouth of Kids

I was talking with my daughter about a meeting we had last week at church. The pastor asked us to think of ways to increase membership. We talked about a few options when she said she wanted a separate church service for the Youth because church can sometimes be boning. I explained why our church wanted the youth to stay in the church service; that sometimes services may be boring but there will come a day when she will appreciate the time our church has taken teaching them the foundations of the faith. I told her there are some things about our church I'm not crazy about; but no church is perfect citing the music could be better. What she said next about knocked me over.

Daughter: "I was thinking I don't like the music either. They need to sing songs like hymns"

Father (gasping) Oh?
Daughter "Yeah"
Daughter: "they keep singing the same words over and over and I think, yeah I get the point, let's sing something else."

Father: "Can you learn anything when they sing like this? "
Daughter: No it's like Mass. (she used to attend a Catholic school) they would say the same thing over and over and I'd think, yeah I get it, it becomes boring"

Amazing how my daughter understands the need to sing music with meaning but many Worship leaders don't.

Yes I asked DD if she was copying what her father said and she assured me no.

1 comment:

Savage Baptist said...

I don't have any particular objection to any style of music, so long as it's neither syrupy nor sappy. Stupid lyrics annoy me. I don't mind singing good lyrics repetitively.

To my mind, if there's a problem with church music today, it's that so much of it seems to be intentionally designed to get men to emote like women.

Ain't doin' it. Ain't got the required chromosomal configuration.